Friday 4 January 2013

N is for the Nags Head

Having visited Lager Boy's 'local' for pub F it was my turn for pub N, so we headed to the Nags Head in Walthamstow Village for a couple of post work beers on a Thursday evening.

The Pub

View A to Z of London Pubs in a larger map
The first of our pubs that we had both been to on more than one occasion previously, so we largely knew what to expect. The beer was served well, there were velour tablecloths, there was pizza (and possibly other Italian food) available - a diversification for this pub, it's generally a bit kooky, the cat made me jump, and there were a pleasing number of Walthamstow Wackos knocking about. Staff were quick to serve and friendly without being overly chatty. There are a few tables out the front, and a reasonably sized beer garden out the back, with a covered and heated area used in the winter. Reading this back makes it seem like a pub I wouldn't normally be that keen on, but I must say I have a soft spot for the Nags Head.

The Beer
  • Timothy Taylor Landlord - An ubiquitous tipple across the capital, but not one I can remember ever having before. I enjoyed it very much, and I'm not surprised it's so popular. Taking the primacy effect into consideration it's probably fair to say the Landlord is a fairly middle of the road beer, done very well.
  • Lager shandy - Lager Boy wouldn't even tell me what lager had gone into this, but he chose it as he was driving, and felt thirsty. It was served cold, and the lemonade was well mixed, but it was still a shandy.
  • Brains Merlin's Oak - Lager Boy chose this one, which is a crazy choice. However, he knows what he doesn't like, and he doesn't not like this. Very peaty, and more ruby than dark, almost matching the burgundy tablecloth.
  • Colchester AK Pale - A weaker ale, that looks like a lager. Not much else to say about this one.
  • Wychwood Hobgoblin - A move much darker, to a stronger tasting beer that seems much more real.
The Verdict
Local (to me at least!), and one that I would normally put in the 'not for me' column. The Nags Head manages to charm in some way, and is an enjoyable place to while away an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment